Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sci-fi, revisited


I started hitting the Netflix list again recently. One of my first deliveries was Sunshine, a Danny Boyle sci-fi movie. I'd never seen any Danny Boyle movies before, but I'd heard positive things about Shallow Grave and Trainspotting. This movie sucked.

My rating? 2 stars. Chrissa gave it a negative 9.

It was good at first ... your typical psychological sci-fi movie. But then it deteriorates into this bizarre horror movie. I don't know. Maybe it's just a problem I have with sci-fi. As a movie or book genre, sci-fi's a tough sell. Even so, my Top 10 (space-travel-related) sci-fi movies:

10) Stargate
Despite the wooly camels, I actually liked this movie.

9) Serenity
Best line: "Do you really think any of us is gonna get through this?"
"Well, I might."

8) Mission to Mars
Fairly realistic. Gotta give 'em props for that.

7) Pitch Black
What the--?! Vin Diesel?!

6) Star Trek (series)
I'm sorry ... I can't put Star Trek any higher. They used a WHALE to save the earth!!

5) Contact
Best space travel on film.

4) Star Wars (series)
Enough said. Still, the best space battles ever.

3) Alien
I promise to never go into an air conditioning grate hunting an alien.

2) 2001: A Space Odyssey
"I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you."

1) Aliens
I want to be a Space Marine.

5 comments:

yamsey said...

I have to agree with your list for the most part, I don't watch Alien movies, but you left off a good one: Battlestar Galactica. Ok, granted it is a tv series, but it is one of the best sci-fi shows I have ever seen. If you use netflicks you should really give it a try! Oh, and Firefly, the tv series from which Serenity was created, is amazing too! Kind of like a western that takes place in space with a little bit of Chinese culture mixed in. Joss Whedon is the man!

Dan Dorman said...

I gotta second both of Yamsey's suggestions: BSG and Firefly are both abso-frakkin'-lutely awesome.

I won't really quibble too much over the placement of entries on your list, since I'm too lazy and mercurial to place my own favorite sci-fi flicks in any kind of ranking, but of course I just gotta make some observations.

1. I'd put the original Alien over its sequel.

2. I don't think Contact makes my top ten, although I enjoyed it.

3. I'm surprised to see 2001 so high on your list. Like any Kubrick film, it's got its glorious moments--with like a four-hour wait between 'em! You gotta love HAL, though.

Of course these sorts of things are always debatable, but a couple of notable omissions that come to mind are The Matrix and Blade Runner. Additionally, some personal favorites of mine, in no particular order: Dark City, Cloverfield, and the Terminator movies. Geez, I'm sure there's like a billion more and I just can't think of 'em ... like Ghost in the Shell (or other anime classics like Akira and Vampire Hunter D).

Also instant classic The Happening. Just kidding, of course. That suuucked. Oh, man, did it suck.

Anonymous said...

Nice suggestions. I know I'll probably like the new Battlestar Galactica--because I've always liked the premise.

If you notice, I was very careful to say "(space-travel-related) sci-fi films"...so I wouldn't have to rate movies like The Matrix against some of these others.

That being said, GREAT additions. And, yes, The Happening was so horrible that I almost envied the people committing suicide in said film.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah:

Alien was better for psychological thriller. (I still have nightmares...) but Aliens was one of the best space movies for technology and action, and had cooler characters.

You've gotta give props to Ridley Scott and James Cameron. Two amazing movies.

As for 2001: I think you can't beat it for the realism and isolation of space. Kubrick didn't rely on sound effects and Hollywoodized explosions. He was true to Arthur C. Clark's book. The realism alone launches it up my list.

Anonymous said...

I think it's funny that Sunshine was made AFTER we went to space and, with all we know about space travel...and gravity, it STILL missed the mark!