Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Creation Museum

For anyone who doesn't know, Chrissa and I live in Ohio. Ohio's a nice, modern state (ranked 29th on the "Loss of natural teeth" list) ... but some aspects of it are a bit different. For instance, religion. A lot of folks here are saturated with religion. Or, rather, for them it's religion-as-culture. They own the t-shirt ... they listen to the music.

About an hour away is the infamous Creation Museum, in Kentucky. My understanding is that the museum portrays

 The earth being 6,000 years old
 Dinosaurs living in the Garden of Eden
 A refutation of some (or all) aspects of Evolution

The museum created a big stink when it opened last year. Many people were hostile to the idea: saying it would create a generation of kids who refuse to recognize scientific fact.

My personal view? It's a private museum, so they can pretty much do what they want. Even so, I'd guess its displays will A) reinforce the beliefs already taught by kids' parents or B) not influence them at all. Even though I, personally, don't believe in Young Earth Creationism, I arrived at that conclusion through public education and personal studies. I don't see why other people can't do the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stop making fun of all my clothes..

Jared said...

I thought this counted as a "subtle hint"...