Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Science-fiction? Ha!


I'm reading The Alchemist, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and a Neal Stephenson Sci-fi book called Snow Crash.

I'm very impressed with Harry Potter, of course: J.K. Rowling is a great author. I forget that until I read her again -- that she's not all hype.

As to the Stephenson book. This is my second attempt at Stephenson, after my first attempt (Cryptonomicon) perished in a mass of twisted metal and burning tires. That being said, I wasn't too thrilled about starting another Stephenson book... but a friend recommended it and Dan lauds Stephenson to no end, so I thought, "What the heck."

What's strange about my liking Snow Crash is that it is very Sci-fi. Past the age of 15* there are very few science-fiction books I've liked -- It's a tough genre to be taken seriously in. The few I have liked tended to either be either a) fantasy-based or b) less focused on the science fiction aspect -- more focused on internal psychology and character development. What's even stranger about my liking Snow Crash is that Stephenson goes way beyond borderline Sci-fi and plunges into the silly stuff. In fact his protagonist's name is Hiro Protagonist and he works as a samurai sword-wielding pizza delivery boy. Ridiculous ... and yet he tells a good story. I'm really into it.

I can't really go anywhere else with this entry, so.


* Ender's Game, Orson Scott Card; Armor, John Steakley; Otherland, Tad Williams; Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Timothy Zahn; Treason, Orson Scott Card; 2001: A Space Odyssey, Arthur C. Clarke; and the best Sci-fi book ever written, Dune, Frank Herbert.

4 comments:

Jesster said...

Good reading ideas! Have you read Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (by Stephen R. Donaldson)? Those books might be right up your alley.

Anonymous said...

Good ol' Neal!

Snow Crash is the next Stephenson book I am going to read! (I read the first chapter in a bookstore once, I just haven't gotten around to picking up a copy of the book yet.

Hiro Protagonist, though ... that's awesome.

Jared said...

I'll have a look-see on Donaldson. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

*ahem*

He's not a "samurai sword-wielding pizza delivery boy," he's a samurai sword-wielding pizza deliverator!

That is all.