Wednesday, June 11, 2008

TV memories


Memory #1
During sleepovers when I was a kid, TV was part of the Saturday morning ritual: We'd wake up dang early and sit on the carpet with our blankets, dogs, and a big bowl of cereal, watching all the cartoons. Ahh, childhood. Did I mention we were 16? Shows: G.I. Joe, Transformers, He-Man, The Smurfs, and an anime cartoon, M.A.S.K. Also loved the educational commercials: Cap'n O.G. Readmore, School House Rock! and this funny guy wearing a body suit who walked through a giant body. (They don't make 'em like they used to...)

Memory #2
When Chrissa and I ran away to Alaska, we stayed at a Bed and Breakfast/crack house with a vintage TV and shag carpet TV room. Our TV set was from the 60s and only had three channels. For lack of anything better to do, we'd watch TV every night with our pothead friend, Rob, who had dreadlocks and was 7' tall. Shows: Wheel of Fortune, That '70s Show, and Jeopardy! I've never felt so relaxed as I did living 1000 miles from civilization, in company housing, watching fuzzy television on an old tv set.



Memory #3
When I joined the AF, they sent me on a 6-week program with other new officers, down in Montgomery, AL. The course was easy and the military has a long tradition of alcohol abuse, so most of my classmates would go get drunk every night, or get drunk in the hall and play garbage can soccer. I had a lot of time on my hands. I ended up cooking mac and cheese in my Mr. Coffee and watching The Discovery Channel, History Channel, National Geographic, and Sci-Fi. Shows: Mythbusters, Seconds from Disaster, and Ghost Hunters. Yea, for learning!

Memory #4
Chrissa and I decided to save a buck while living in Texas. We paid $5 a month for basic cable. Through a gizmo glitch somewhere, that included The Food Network. (Ha! Ha! FOOLS!) Chrissa and I became FN junkies. We never thought watching someone else cook could be so interesting (though we noticed a correlation between our interest and our hunger level). Shows: 30 Minute Meals, Good Eats, Unwrapped, and Iron Chef America.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think the B&B had shag carpet (it's probably all the pot we were smokin) and the tv was one of those old floor models made popular in the 70s and 80s --it was a color television, afterall. Not that they didn't have color television in the 60s, it just wasn't likely for someone in Alaska, I bet.

Jared said...

I was going for ambiance!

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Anonymous said...

Bah! Update!