Monday, March 23, 2009

The wisdom of Solomon


So I'm driving down to the grocery store to buy some garlic for dinner. Champ's in the back seat sticking his head out the window, ears flopping, enjoying the afternoon sun. The sky's approaching azure and I've got some classic rock on. All is right in the world.

Now, normally when I'm in my groove there's no disturbing me. (I can drive right past my house when I'm grooving...and often do.) But today, as I'm pulling into the parking lot on the backside of the store, I pass a couple of vans that catch my attention. The first is a salmon-colored minivan with a lady driver. The second is a big, rusty Econoline with a man at the wheel. What caught my attention was how CLOSE they were driving! They're so close that, at first, I think the minivan's towing the Econoline. After I pass, though, I figure out I'm seeing a case of road rage, so I quickly flip around and follow them back onto the road just outside the parking lot.

By the time I get there the Econoline's parked at a weird angle in front of the minivan. Not exactly blocking it but close enough. The guy driver's standing alongside the woman's door, gesturing angrily. There's a Good Samaritan--an old guy--trying to help out, and a number of cars inching past since the guy's blocked off three-quarters of the road. I pull over behind the minivan and get out but don't approach. I'm not sure what's going on, but I want to be there to intervene just in case Mr Econoline goes nutso.

Econoline sees me and waves me off, saying, "You don't have to be here!" I ignore him and keep watching.

Apparently, 1) the lady in the van was blocking the exit to the parking lot because she was busy talking on her cell. 2) The guy pulled up behind her and honked. 3)The lady brandished her middle finger at him. 4) The guy followed her out of the parking lot and blocked off traffic to yell at her.

As I pick up the details, I'm torn about what to do. On the one hand, the lady was being inconsiderate with her car and her cell phone, and then compounded it by being obscene (with her daughter in the car, by the way). On the other hand, the guy was aggressive with his vehicle, inconsiderate of other drivers, and an all-around ass. Eventually, the lady wrote down his license plate and the guy let her drive off.

I'm still not sure if I did the right thing. I wasn't afraid of the guy, so I wasn't holding back out of fear; and I also wasn't there without reason: I would've stepped in if things had gone south.

...but, ultimately, I hate NOT doing anything: it leaves me feeling I've done something wrong or participated in the fruckus somehow.

I wonder what Solomon would have done?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

he would have busted a cap on Mr. Econoline...

R8ioActvCathlic said...

To your actions: I think well done.

To the question of not doing anything,.. well... sometimes it's necissary:

"Preach the Gospel at all times and when necissary, use words..." St. Francis of Assisi