Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The ugliest dogs...ever!


I'm a dog person. I love dogs.

I love them because they're useful and because they're cool. They are very cool animals. Even the idea of dogs is cool. Here we have an animal we've engineered to be a part of the human world. ISN'T THAT WEIRD? They're social, like us...even "personable": with different personality types and temperaments. They're also amazingly athletic and intelligent. Having Champ (my dog) is like having the 6 Million Dollar Man living in my house.

The thing is I don't like ALL breeds of dogs. I can't understand lap dogs, for instance. I have friends with lap dogs and, although I like their dogs, I would never want one. In selecting such a small dog, you've taken away so many aspects of its dogginess: its athleticism, for instance, or its role as a protector. These dogs truly are "toys." It's like getting a baby that will never grow up. Plus we've got these weird designer breeds like labradoodles and cockapoos. These breeds make no sense. Most breeds make sense. They served a function at one time. And which is the worst breed for this by far? Pugs! Pugs are obnoxious little dogs. And very ugly. Why would someone breed an ugly dog?! Why would someone want an ugly dog?

Pugs invoke sympathy, sure. They make you laugh. But shouldn't we feel a twinge of guilt for having created a breed to be the butt of jokes? They can't even breathe through their flat noses! Honestly...to me pugs engender pathos and a little bit of disgust. Sorry pug owners. It's just too bad I had to be the one to tell you this...

5 comments:

yamsey said...

I have to disagree. While pugs are ugly dogs, Rotweilers (sp?) are far worse. Not only are they hideously ugly, they are vicious to boot. Not just mean tempered, vicious! Some lady had one at the park the other day. She said, "Oh, don't worry, he's a sweet dog." I thought, "Yeah, right. That is why he is looking at my kids like they are breakfast."
The best dogs by far are labs. Not only are they athletic and useful, they are smart too.

yamsey said...

Hey, btw I was reading up on Marcie's blog (does she ever update?) and she mentioned Laura wasn't doing well. That was a while ago. How is she now? How is Heather? I haven't heard anything of her since she got married.

Anonymous said...

Lol. No, Marci hasn't been updating much since she got married (in May)...in part because she's teaching and in part because she's been helping run things with Lora in the hospital.

Lora is currently undergoing cancer treatment. If you want to get in touch with her, I'll let you know how to do that... :)

yamsey said...

Thanks. I would love to get in touch with her.

Anonymous said...

I don't totally agree with the fact that dogs are something "we've engineered to be a part of the human world." Dogs became domesticated because it suited them and helped them survive. They introduced themselves to our world, we liked them and got along a little better with them, so bam, they got domesticated.

And dogs are still at it! Anyone who has a dog has probably asked themselves "Who's training who here?" There is definitely a symbiotic relationship going on there and I think that's pretty cool.

But when it comes to the dogs like pugs, I totally agree with you. We've tried to select for things we like in puppies like big eyes and short noses, and breed them into adult dogs. The result is a non-functional dog who can't even breathe, like you said. You're absolutely right that we should feel bad for creating them, because what we've done to them is downright cruel.

However, to those who are making "this breed is vicious" or "this breed is obnoxious" statements.... I'm pretty well convinced that you can blame that on owners 75% of the time. It's the owner's responsibility to train the dog and to be sure that it's well-behaved and -mannered... an owner doesn't just owe it to society, s/he owes it to his/her furry four-legged best friend. So kudos to you and Chrissa for starting Champ on Canine Good Citizen (saw that on his dogster page!) -- you guys are responsible owners. I want to start Sienna on that as soon as she gets back to Alaska!